Sunday, November 15, 2009

"If I say I Love You" Loston Harris-Timeless


There's a lot of negatives that come with living in Manhattan, yesterday I went to the store to pick up a can of Pledge, six Calla Lilies and a two litre of Pepsi for 58 dollars. Every morning I wake up to traffic, jackhammers and horns, every night I rarely see a sunset; the weather is terrible, %75 of the year it's either too hot or too cold. But the positives outweigh all of that, fashion, culture, beautiful (although somewhat combative) women, museums and some of the best restaurants in the world. To tip the scale further in the positive direction is the fact that when I am finished writing this I can walk ten blocks north (which I will) and see Loston Harris live in a space more intimate than most of my neighbor's bathrooms.

In looking at my latest couple songs I feel a need to chill out a bit and throw in something a little more mellow, this is the song. This song is happy, jazzy, shallow and sans gravitas (can you mix languages like that? I don't think you can). Loston's voice is terribly chill and mellow, it is as if he's talking to the microphone. The song swings a bit, the piano is sublime but the real star on this track in my mind is the trumpet that fills in the gaps. At 1:14 into the solo starts off in full with Marcus Parsley and Loston trading off grove until the vocals slide back into the fold like a pair of velvet tux shoes.

You can find the album on Loston's website: http://www.lostonharris.com/music/. The price of $21 is a little steep for a CD but between this song and the sultry "Anytime, Anyday. Anywhere" is well worth the admission. Or think of it this way, to see him live there is a $25 cover and the martini (you can never have just one) will set you back another $20. Granted you don't get the atmosphere which is usually a mixture of UES skeletons, a few tourist who have no business there and the obligatory Russian Pro at the bar alone, but Loston is probably not leaving his venue anytime soon for a significant period so it'll just have to do until you head uptown for a sniff.